Steve Martin is a partner of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto office. His practice is principally directed towards acquiring patents and other IP protection for domestic innovators. Steve assists clients in protecting their IP around the world including obtaining protection in Canada, the United States, Europe and Asia.
Steve provides strategic intellectual property advice on IP filing strategies, IP portfolio management, and freedom-to-operate, as well as validity and infringement. Steve also provides patentability, infringement, validity and freedom-to-operate opinions, performs intellectual property audits, and prepares and prosecutes industrial designs (design patents) and trademarks.
Steve works with leading innovators in the electronics, information and communications technology (ICT), oil & gas, cannabis, healthcare, consumer products, power generation, chemical, automotive and manufacturing fields. His work focuses on user interfaces, messaging and communications, digital media, medical imaging, data analytics, artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML), fintech, robotics, autonomous vehicles, cryptography and blockchain technologies.
Steve has an interest in photography and is an avid cyclist and skier. Steve also studies Taekwon-Do when not busy raising his three children.
- B.E.Sc. (Chemical Engineering), University of Western Ontario (2002)
- LL.B., University of Western Ontario (2002)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (2003)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2004)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (2005)
- Registered Patent Agent, United States (2005)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Fellow)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association – AIPLA (Member)
- Toronto Computer Lawyers Group – TCLG (Member)
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group – TIPG (Member, Past-Chair)