Partner* - Lawyer, Patent & Trademark Agent
- Due Diligence
- Industrial Designs
- IP for Start-Up & Early Stage Companies
- Licensing & IP Transactions
- Patent Prosecution
- Strategic Counselling, Opinions, & Intellectual Property Portfolio Management
- Trade Secrets
Steve Leach is a partner in the Burlington office and has been helping businesses grow through strategic use of the law and the intellectual property system since 1996.
The pleasure Steve finds in an afternoon of patent drafting is immense, but great days at work for Steve take many forms: a creative interpretation of IP law to craft protection that a client never envisioned possible; an introduction of a client with a need to a client with a skill; or the preparation of a contract that arms those courageous enough to commence a new business venture with a division of responsibilities and a code of conduct that improves the chances of a successful journey.
Outside of the firm, Steve spends significant personal time, talent and treasure in the fight for economic growth, including effort on behalf of Techlink Innovation Exchange, a non-profit that is creating a worldwide marketplace in early stage technology to make the intellectual property system work better for all, but still finds room to pursue his other joys: exploring the historic cities of the world with his wife and puttering in his yard.
*Steven Leach Professional Corporation
- B.A.Sc. (Engineering Chemistry), Queen’s University (1991)
- LL.B., University of New Brunswick (1994)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (1996)
- LL.M., York University, Osgoode Hall Law School (1999)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (2000)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2002)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Affiliate)
- Hamilton Law Association – HLA
- Peel Law Association – PLA
- Canada Law Book’s Canadian Patent Reporter – CPR – Editorial Board (Member)
Meet Our People
The lawyers and patent and trademark agents at Ridout & Maybee LLP bring both legal expertise and real-world industry knowledge to work for our clients. Many of our professionals were leaders in their technical field prior to working in intellectual property law, and hold advanced degrees and certifications.