- Industrial Designs
- Trade Secrets
- Licensing & IP Transactions
- IP Litigation
- Strategic Counselling, Opinions, & Intellectual Property Portfolio Management
- IP for Start-Up & Early Stage Companies
- Due Diligence
Elliott Gold is a partner of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto office. His practice covers a wide range of intellectual property areas. An important aspect of his practice has been focused on Canadian and global brand protection and brand enforcement, being actively involved in trademark prosecution, opposition, cancellation and litigation proceedings in Canada and throughout the world.
Elliott is also actively engaged in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications for clients with various technologies ranging from plastic injection molding, recreational storage and transportation products, consumer products, water filtration systems, and wireless telecommunications networks and communications technologies.
Elliott has extensive experience drafting and negotiating licensing, joint venture and other agreements relating to the exploitation and/or transfer of brands and technology.
Another important area of his practice is focused on the management and implementation of IP due diligence investigations. Looking closely at the scale of transaction, Elliott uses his broad understanding of IP to plan and implement an appropriate scope of investigation, ranging from simple status and ownership issues to more complex issues such as freedom to operate, assessment of validity and enforceability of patent and trademark assets.
In addition to utilizing traditional means for recourse against infringers of intellectual property through the Canadian Federal Court system, Elliott recognizes the growing importance of utilizing other venues and strategies to obtain swift and appropriate take downs of products and services that infringe IP rights.
His experience as in-house counsel early in his career shaped the manner in which Elliott serves his clients, gaining immeasurable insight into the perspective of in-house counsel and the importance of understanding a client’s business objectives when giving IP advice.
In his spare time, Elliott has acted as adjunct professor at Western University Law School for its advanced patent law course and was a regular lecturer and acted as the Director of the IPIC McGill University Understanding Patents Program. He has been a long standing volunteer assistant coach and certified trainer in the Greater Toronto Hockey League and North York Hockey League. Above all he enjoys: cycling to work, intermittently criticizing and cheering for Toronto’s sports teams and spending time with his family and dog.
- B.A. (Honours Psychology), University of Western Ontario (1992)
- LL.B., York University, Osgoode Hall Law School (1995)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (1997)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (2000)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2003)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Western Ontario
- Former Lecturer, Director of IPIC McGill University Understanding Patents Program (2011-2016)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Associate
- Canadian Bar Association – CBA
- Licensing Executives Society – LES
- International Trademark Association – INTA
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada – Patents (2017, 2018, 2019)