- Due Diligence
- Industrial Designs
- IP for Start-Up & Early Stage Companies
- Licensing & IP Transactions
- Strategic Counselling, Opinions, & Intellectual Property Portfolio Management
Rita Gao is an associate of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto office. Her practice focuses on creating and protecting intellectual property assets in Canada, the United States, Europe, and China. Rita can help companies execute IP strategies and build an IP portfolio that strikes the right balance between value and risk.
Rita has experience with numerous fields of technology, including computer hardware and software, mobile devices, telecommunications, near-field communications, medical devices, cloud-based technologies, image processing, autonomous driving systems, artificial intelligence systems and other consumer and industrial products.
Before joining Ridout & Maybee LLP, Rita was an associate at an international law firm in Toronto.
Prior to her legal career, Rita was with Deloitte Consulting, where she worked on various technology strategy projects for companies in private and public sectors.
While pursuing her Electrical Engineering bachelor’s degree at the University of Toronto, Rita gained industry experience working at a national wireless telecommunications company.
Rita reads, writes and speaks fluent Mandarin and conversational Cantonese.
- J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School (2012)
- B.A.Sc., Electrical Engineering, University of Toronto (2008)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (2013)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2016)
- Registered Patent Agent, United States (2016)
- Ontario Bar Association – OBA
- Canadian Bar Association – CBA
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC
Gao, Rita and Gray, Brian W., “Industrial Design Rights: An International Perspective“, Hardcover
Kluwer Law Intl; 2nd ed. edition (Nov. 17 2015)