Partner - Lawyer, Senior Litigator, Patent and Trademark Agent
- IP Litigation & Enforcement
- Industrial Designs
- Mediation & Arbitration
- Strategic Counselling, Opinions, & Intellectual Property Portfolio Management
Dino Clarizio is a Partner and Senior Litigation Counsel of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto Office. Dino’s work includes all aspects of intellectual property litigation with a focus on patent litigation, in particular in the chemical, pharmaceutical and mechanical areas.
Dino has been practising exclusively in the field of intellectual property law since being called to the Ontario bar in 1991. Dino has acted as counsel in IP litigation for a variety of different clients, from sole inventors to Fortune 50 companies. He has extensive litigation experience involving all aspects of patent law in Canada, including the law relating to claim construction and infringement, anticipation, obviousness, utility, and overbreadth/insufficient disclosure. Dino’s cases have also involved trademark issues such as confusion, the doctrine of functionality in trademark law and survey evidence, as well as copyright infringement.
Dino is also a registered patent agent in both Canada and the U.S., and a registered trademark agent in Canada. He was awarded the prize for the top overall marks in the Canadian patent agent qualifying examinations in 1993. In addition to his litigation practice, Dino has also had a patent prosecution practice spanning all kinds of technologies, with an emphasis on patenting in the chemical and biotech industries.
Dino is the co-author of two of the main patent textbooks in Canada, and of an annual consolidation of Canada’s patent laws and regulations. He is also a frequent author and speaker on Intellectual Property law, and is involved with the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, sitting on several committees and presenting at various conferences and seminars. For many years Dino has served as a tutor for the annual patent agent exams.
Outside of work, Dino enjoys tennis, golf, boating at his cottage and photography.
Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B, 1989)
McGill University (B.Eng, Chemical, with distinction, 1986)
- Law Society of Ontario
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- The Advocates' Society
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Chambers Canada – Ranked, Intellectual Property, 2016-2022
- Chambers Global – Ranked, Intellectual Property, 2007-2022
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory – Most Frequently Recommended, Intellectual Property, 2003 – 2022
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory – Repeatedly Recommended, Life Sciences & Health, Biotechnology, 2013-2022
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory – Repeatedly Recommended, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2003-2008, 2013-2022
- Lexpert Magazine – Most Frequently Recommended, Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Lawyers in Canada, IP & Media 2018-2019
- Lexpert Magazine – Most Frequently Recommended, Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada, Intellectual Property Litigation 2018-2019
- Lexpert Special Edition, Ranked, Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers in the Globe & Mail’s ROB Magazine, Litigation 2018-2022
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Media Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2020-2022
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Media Guide – Recognized, Intellectual Property Law, 2013, 2014
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year – Most Frequently Recommended, Intellectual Property, 2019
- Best Lawyers in Canada – Recognized, Intellectual Property Law, 2010-2023
- Best Lawyers Global Business edition, 2020
- IP Stars, Patent Star, Patent Strategy & Counseling, Patent Prosecution, 2020-2022
- Expert Guides to the Best of the Best (Patents) – Recognized, Patent Law, 2009-2021
- Who’s Who Legal – Recommended, Life Sciences - Patent Litigation, 2013-2022
- Who’s Who Legal – Recommended, Patents, 2010-2022
- IAM 1000 – World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, 2013-2022
- The Legal 500 Canada – Leading Individual, Intellectual Property, 2014-2022
- World IP Review Leaders, 2021
- Martindale-Hubbell – BV Peer Review Rated, IP/IP Litigation
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers – Recognized, Patent Law, 2009, 2011, 2013
- Co-Author of “Hughes & Woodley on Patents”, 2nd ed. Loose-Leaf Service, since 2007 (LexisNexis)
- Co-Author of “Patents, Trade Secrets and Industrial Designs” chapter in Halsbury’s Laws of Canada, 1st ed., published in 2007, and Reissues published in 2012, 2016 and 2020 (LexisNexis)
- Co-Author of “Patent Legislation & Commentary”, 2015 to 2022 editions (LexisNexis)
- Original Co-Author of Patents chapter in Dimock, Ronald E., “Intellectual Property – Disputes, Resolutions and Remedies”, Carswell, published December, 2002
- Co-Author of “I Thought of That”, A Handbook of Intellectual Property Law, CCH Canada, published 1999
- Original Co-Author of “Intellectual Property” chapter of Commercial Law Guide, CCH Canada, published since 1997
- Original Co-Author of “Patents and Trade Secrets” chapter of “Canadian Forms and Precedents”, Butterworths, published since 1992
Meet Our People
The lawyers and patent and trademark agents at Ridout & Maybee LLP bring both legal expertise and real-world industry knowledge to work for our clients. Many of our professionals were leaders in their technical field prior to working in intellectual property law, and hold advanced degrees and certifications.