- IP for Start-Up & Early Stage Companies
- Patent Prosecution
- Strategic Counselling, Opinions, & Intellectual Property Portfolio Management
Steven Cheng is an associate of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto office. His practice focuses on the identification, procurement, and protection of intellectual property rights for electrical, computer, telecommunications, machine learning, mechanical, and software related inventions.
Steven routinely assists clients with drafting and prosecution of originating patent applications, and he also assists associate firms in foreign jurisdictions — including the United States, Europe, China, Japan, and other locations — with procuring patent protection for their clients in Canada. His practice also involves advising clients on issues relating to patentability, patent validity and infringement.
Prior to obtaining his Juris Doctor degree from Queen’s University in 2013, Steven attended University of Waterloo where he graduated in 2007 with a degree in Honours Electrical Engineering. During his undergraduate studies, he gained valuable industry experience in the field of software development, electrical power system design, analog circuitry analysis, and field application engineering.
- B.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering), University of Waterloo (2007)
- J.D., Queen’s University (2013)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (2014)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2018)
- Registered Patent Agent, United States (2019)
- Ontario Bar Association – OBA
- Canadian Bar Association – CBA
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC