- Due Diligence
- Industrial Designs
- IP for Start-Up & Early Stage Companies
- Licensing & IP Transactions
- Patent Prosecution
- Strategic Counselling, Opinions, & Intellectual Property Portfolio Management
- Trade Secrets
Charles Boulakia is a partner of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto office. His practice is principally directed towards the preparation and prosecution of patent applications in the biotechnology, chemistry, biofuel, oil and gas and pharmaceutical areas. Charles provides his clients with IP due diligence, validity, and freedom to operate opinions. Charles also drafts and negotiates license agreements and occasionally advises on food and drug regulatory law, including product labelling and advertising. Previous to his career in law, Charles worked briefly in venture capital, “big pharma”, and for the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Charles is Vice-Chair of the AIPPI Standing Committee on Pharma and Biotechnology and the Treasurer of the Royal Canadian Institute for Science. He provides pro bono advice on IP law for the Law and Business Clinic at Ryerson University, volunteers on the selection committee for the Norman Esch Engineering Innovation and Entrepreneurship Award and is a mentor at the University of Toronto Entrepreneurship Hatchery.
- B.Sc. (Biochemistry), McGill University (1993)
- M.Sc. (Biochemistry), McGill University, McGill Cancer Research Centre (1996)
- Combined M.B.A./LL.B., (Gold Medallist), University of Western Ontario (2000)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (2002)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (2004)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2005)
- Registered Patent Agent, U.S. (2006)
- Royal Canadian Institute for the Advancement of Science (RCIScience) – Treasurer and member of Council
- International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property – AIPPI (Vice-Chair, Pharma and Biotechnology Standing Committee)
- Ryerson University Law and Business Clinic (Advisor)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Affiliate)
- Norman Esch Engineering Innovation and Entrepreneurship Award (Selection Committee Member)
- University of Toronto Entrepreneurship Hatchery (Mentor)
- Flourish Mushroom Labs Advisory Board (Member)
- G. Raymond Chang Outstanding Volunteer Award, Ryerson University (2017)
- Contributor, Chapter 15 of Antibody Patenting: A Practitioner’s Guide to Drafting, Prosecution and Enforcement, published 2019 by Kluwer Law International.
- Provided international intellectual property advice for a Toronto-based therapeutic start-up, including negotiating rights and license agreements with various Universities and research institutes, and drafting, prosecuting, and obtaining issuance of patents for the platform technology and specific targeted therapeutics, in the aptamer space.
- Drafted and obtained numerous patents related to pipeline coatings, for corrosion resistance, impact resistance, and weight.
- Drafted numerous patents for cannabis-related technologies, including delivery systems, formulations, combinations, cannabinoid purification and isolation technologies, and filter technologies for greenhouse use.
- Performed freedom to operate due diligence on multi-million dollar government-backed investments in biofuel plant production.
- Drafted patents related to improvements in DNA amplification technology.
- Prosecuted and obtained numerous patents related to e-cigarette technology.
- Drafted and obtained patents related to processes for converting biomass waste to biofuels.
- Provided advice and guidance on numerous co-development agreements, including between competitors.
- Negotiated settlement agreements to avoid patent litigation related to pipe laying methods and equipment.