Partner - Lawyer, Patent & Trademark Agent
- Due Diligence
- Industrial Designs
- IP for Start-Up & Early Stage Companies
- Licensing & IP Transactions
- Patent Prosecution
- Strategic Counselling, Opinions, & Intellectual Property Portfolio Management
- Trade Secrets
- Advertising & Marketing
- Consumer Products
- Clean Technologies
- Nuclear & Hydro Electric Power
- Oil & Gas
- Financial Technology
- Mechanical Technologies & Industrial Processes
- Medical, Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical
- Life Sciences
- Medical Devices
- Clean Technology
Charles Boulakia is a partner of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto office. His practice is principally directed towards the preparation and prosecution of patent applications in the biotechnology, chemistry, biofuel, oil and gas and pharmaceutical areas. Charles provides his clients with IP due diligence, validity, and freedom to operate opinions. Charles also drafts and negotiates license agreements and occasionally advises on food and drug regulatory law, including product labelling and advertising. Previous to his career in law, Charles worked briefly in venture capital, “big pharma”, and for the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Charles is Vice-Chair of the AIPPI Standing Committee on Pharma and Biotechnology and the Treasurer of the Royal Canadian Institute for Science. He provides pro bono advice on IP law for the Law and Business Clinic at Ryerson University, volunteers on the selection committee for the Norman Esch Engineering Innovation and Entrepreneurship Award and is a mentor at the University of Toronto Entrepreneurship Hatchery.
- B.Sc. (Biochemistry), McGill University (1993)
- M.Sc. (Biochemistry), McGill University, McGill Cancer Research Centre (1996)
- Combined M.B.A./LL.B., (Gold Medallist), University of Western Ontario (2000)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (2002)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (2004)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2005)
- Registered Patent Agent, U.S. (2006)
- Royal Canadian Institute for the Advancement of Science (RCIScience) – Treasurer and member of Council
- International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property – AIPPI (Vice-Chair, Pharma and Biotechnology Standing Committee)
- Ryerson University Law and Business Clinic (Advisor)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Affiliate)
- Norman Esch Engineering Innovation and Entrepreneurship Award (Selection Committee Member)
- University of Toronto Entrepreneurship Hatchery (Mentor)
- Flourish Mushroom Labs Advisory Board (Member)
- G. Raymond Chang Outstanding Volunteer Award, Ryerson University (2017)
- Contributor, Chapter 15 of Antibody Patenting: A Practitioner’s Guide to Drafting, Prosecution and Enforcement, published 2019 by Kluwer Law International.
Proposed legislation adds excess claims fees and “three strike” office actions
Federal Court Overturns MOPOP and Patent Office Practice Notices on Subject Matter Eligibility
Webinar: New Uses for Known Drugs - Essential Patent Aspects in Europe and North America
Partner Charles Boulakia appointed to Flourish Mushroom Labs Advisory Board
Cannabis IP strategy in an uncertain regulatory environment
Charles Boulakia appointed as Vice Chair of AIPPI Standing Committee on Pharma and Biotechnology
Up to 2 years of Additional Patent Protection Now Available in Canada for Qualifying Pharmaceutical Products
Partner Charles Boulakia speaking at AIPPI World Congress in Sydney on October 16th
Partner Charles Boulakia Awarded G. Raymond Chang Outstanding Volunteer Award from Ryerson University
Marcus Gallie of Ridout & Maybee LLP named new editor of Canadian Patent Reporter
- Provided international intellectual property advice for a Toronto-based therapeutic start-up, including negotiating rights and license agreements with various Universities and research institutes, and drafting, prosecuting, and obtaining issuance of patents for the platform technology and specific targeted therapeutics, in the aptamer space.
- Drafted and obtained numerous patents related to pipeline coatings, for corrosion resistance, impact resistance, and weight.
- Drafted numerous patents for cannabis-related technologies, including delivery systems, formulations, combinations, cannabinoid purification and isolation technologies, and filter technologies for greenhouse use.
- Performed freedom to operate due diligence on multi-million dollar government-backed investments in biofuel plant production.
- Drafted patents related to improvements in DNA amplification technology.
- Prosecuted and obtained numerous patents related to e-cigarette technology.
- Drafted and obtained patents related to processes for converting biomass waste to biofuels.
- Provided advice and guidance on numerous co-development agreements, including between competitors.
- Negotiated settlement agreements to avoid patent litigation related to pipe laying methods and equipment.
Meet Our People
The lawyers and patent and trademark agents at Ridout & Maybee LLP bring both legal expertise and real-world industry knowledge to work for our clients. Many of our professionals were leaders in their technical field prior to working in intellectual property law, and hold advanced degrees and certifications.