Flying to Canada? Electronic Travel Authorization

Mar 03 2016

The Government of Canada has introduced a new entry requirement called an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), for visa-exempt foreign nationals* who are traveling to or transiting Canada by air.

Effective March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals must obtain an eTA before boarding a flight to Canada. This requirement does not apply to US Citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Entry requirements for travellers arriving by land or sea have not changed.

To complete the application for an eTA, you will need:

  • A valid passport;
  • A credit card; and
  • An email address

The application costs $7 CAD per traveler and a positive eTA is valid for up to 5 years.

For further information about the eTA, to determine if the citizens of your country require an eTA, or to apply for an eTA, please visit the Government of Canada’s website.

*A visa-exempt foreign national is a person who is not a citizen of Canada and is not required to obtain a visa for the purpose of travel based on their country of nationality.

Author: Andrew Kai Kai (former associate)

For more information, contact one of our professionals.

Back to blog overview

Tags: Government of Canada