Ridout & Maybee LLP represents oil and gas producers, oil and gas service companies, and various other energy technology companies, by providing counselling on intellectual property issues and managing their worldwide intellectual property portfolios. We also have extensive experience in representing energy technology companies in patent litigation proceedings.
Our representative experience includes:
- Patenting of steam-assisted gravity drainage (“SAGD”) processes for recovering bitumen from oil sands, including SAGD start-up, solvent-assisted SAGD processes, SAGD processes using non-condensable gases, and use of infill wells in late-stage SAGD processes
- Patenting of, and conducting freedom to operate project for EOR Technologies, including gas injection and waterflooding
- Patenting of downhole tools and well completion technologies, including shifting tools, sliding sleeves, locator tools, frac plugs, ball drop systems, jetting tools, and wiper plugs
- Patenting of artificial lift technologies
- Patenting/commercialization of heavy oil upgrading technologies
- Experience in patent litigation involving oil sands production technologies and oilfield services technologies
- Retained by Alberta-based private equity firm for IP due diligence and IP transactional advice for acquisitions of oil & gas technologies
- Advising on IP protection and commercialization strategies, conducting freedom-to-operate projects, patent drafting and prosecution and managing worldwide patent portfolio for oil sands producer
- Advising on freedom to operate for engineering and construction company in respect of well pad designs
- Advising on acquisition of patent portfolio relating to well completion technology
- Patenting of plasma reactor-based hydrogen production technology and related patent due diligence
- Developing and executing on patenting strategy relating to novel emulsion fuel technology
- Patenting of pyrolytic decomposition of fatty acids for fuel production
Have a question for a professional in our oil and gas group? See which members of our team can help you get started.