Climate change mitigation technology is far from new, but it is an exciting and fast-growing sector with global and long-term implications. Achieving a cleaner future will require both adoption of energy saving technologies from abroad, and development of green innovations at home. The global investment and demand for clean technologies is significant across all sectors, including renewable energy, hydrogen production, electrified transport, agricultural innovations, and carbon capture and storage. This demand will only accelerate in the years to come.
Protecting your intellectual property plays a key role in capitalizing on both the domestic and international opportunities, while contributing towards our collective sustainability efforts.
We have knowledge of the regulatory landscape of various areas of green technology and an understanding of the risks that come with their development. We deal with many different companies in the areas of clean innovation, operating in the following fields:
- Nuclear and Hydro Electric Power
- Biofuels and Biomass
- Wind and Solar energy
- Green transportation
- Green building technologies and chemistry
- Energy Efficient Devices and Systems
- Fuel Cells
- Technologies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
Our representative experience includes:
- Patent drafting and prosecution relating to solar photovoltaic energy collection and conversion, including photovoltaic cells, and generation and management systems
- Drafting patents for hydrogen fuel cells and related recycling systems
- Developing patenting strategy and patent portfolio relating to cleaner burning fuel compositions, as well as patent drafting and due diligence related to biofuel reactor technologies
- Wide-ranging patent-related work, including drafting and prosecution, relating to wind turbines, including vertical-axis wind turbines, blade designs, turbine generators, switch controls, load transmission, and turbine foundations
- Patent drafting related to technologies for reducing the environmental impacts of mining and petroleum production, including technologies related to oil and gas pipeline leak prevention, monitoring and repair, and oil sands remediation
- Patent, trademark and copyright work related to software which measures the contribution to global warming for different combinations of energy production methods
- IP due diligence, advising on commercialization and monetization, developing patent strategy, and patenting relating to carbon capture utilization and storage technologies, including algae-based carbon capture technology
- Development of patent portfolio covering membrane process-based water purification technology that has been subsequently acquired by multinational conglomerate for over US$80M
- Patenting of alternative fuel engine conversion systems and advising on related patent disputes
- Patenting of plasma reactor-based hydrogen production technology and related patent due diligence
Have a question for a professional in our energy groups? See which members of our team can help you get started.