We represent innovators in artificial intelligence and machine learning, providing advice on the complexities of securing, enforcing, and monetizing meaningful intellectual property protection on key distinguishing components of their technologies, from designing data structures to training processes to deployment. We have been involved in a wide variety of AI applications, including those for smart phones, autonomous vehicles, oil and gas technologies, and cannabis production.
Our representative experience includes:
- Patenting of autonomous vehicle technology, including radar-based mapping, path planning and navigation
- Patenting of natural-language search technology
- Patenting of autonomous aircraft and control systems
- Patenting of machine learning systems
- Patenting of dataset development for neural network training
- Advising on developing global portfolio off relating to use of AI and historical data to plan future medical procedures
- Advising on IP protection and commercialization strategies, conducting patentability searching, and providing infringement opinions for Internet-of-Things (IoT) based artificial intelligence
Have a question for a professional in our artificial intelligence group? Let’s talk – see which members of our team can help you get started.
Lawyer, Patent & Trademark Agent - Partner
Zhengxiao (Roy) Yang
Lawyer, Patent & Trademark Agent - Associate
Recent IP & Firm News
Webinar: Patent Strategies for AI, Machine Learning and Big Data
In this webinar, Wael Nackasha and Matt Norwood will discuss strategies used to protect new artificial intelligence technologies using the patent system, in Canada, and abroad.
Patent and R&D Trends in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Big Data
Matthew Norwood and Wael Nackasha outline some of the trends in 2021 for AI, Machine Learning and Big Data.
What to consider when patenting AI
Innovations in artificial intelligence (AI), and more specifically machine learning, have been increasing at a rapid rate, both in Canada and internationally. AI has been behind the growth in a number of industries, ranging from online commerce to medical treatments to manufacturing.
The Role of AI in Medical Imaging
The current role that Artificial Intelligence plays in society can be summarised by a single quote – “AI is the new electricity.” According to the World Intellectual Property Organization, AI patents are already being filed for applications in some of the world’s largest industries such as transportation, telecommunications, education, and business.
The challenges of patenting artificial intelligence
Artificial intelligence’s “black box” decision-making presents challenges for AI and machine learning innovators who want to file for patents.