Intellectual Property Professionals
Stephen MartinPartner - Lawyer, Patent & Trademark Agent
Stephen Martin is a partner of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto office. His practice is principally directed towards preparing and prosecuting patent applications, and providing advice regarding intellectual property portfolio management.
Stephen manages international patent portfolios including patents and patent applications in Canada, the United States, Europe, Asia, South America, and other countries.
Stephen works with clients in the information technology, oil & gas, and other industries.
Stephen has diverse experience in the information technology industry, including experience with inventions relating to mobile device hardware and software, software related inventions including computer implemented business methods and applications for mobile devices including gaming and social media, mobile communication systems, image processing, consumer electronics and multimedia devices, and database management software.
Stephen also has experience in the financial, healthcare, consumer products, and industrial products industries.
In addition to preparing and prosecuting patent applications, Stephen also provides patentability, infringement, validity and freedom-to-operate opinions, performs intellectual property audits, and prepares and prosecutes industrial designs (design patents) and trademarks.
Education & Qualifications
- B.E.Sc. (Chemical Engineering), University of Western Ontario (2002)
- LL.B., University of Western Ontario (2002)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (2003)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2004)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (2005)
- Registered Patent Agent, U.S. (2005)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Fellow)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association – AIPLA (Member)
- Toronto Computer Lawyers Group – TCLG (Member)
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group – TIPG (Past-Chair)