Intellectual Property Professionals
Daphne L. MaraveiPartner - Lawyer, Patent & Trademark Agent
Daphne Maravei is a Partner of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Ottawa Office.
Daphne’s practice focuses on the acquisition, clearance, prosecution, litigation and licensing of trademarks, patents, industrial designs and copyright. Daphne also counsels clients on portfolio management and filing strategies, and has experience in prosecuting patents in various technical areas, including the energy, life sciences and medical devices sectors.
Daphne’s practice also focuses on the business law aspects of intellectual property and includes the transfer of rights, and conducting in-depth IP due diligence in corporate transactions.
Daphne is also a frequent speaker on a wide range of intellectual property topics and is involved in many teaching activities. Daphne was recently Director of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)/McGill University course titled “Managing Trademark Disputes” and Assistant Director of the IPIC/McGill Advanced Trademarks course entitled “The Trademarks Practitioner”.
Daphne serves on a number of committees including the IPIC/Canadian Intellectual Property Office Joint Liaison Committee and the International Trademark Association (INTA) Bulletin Committee. Daphne is a former Committee Chair of the INTA Bulletin Law & Practice (North Americas) Subcommittee.
Daphne was also a Council Member of IPIC for the 2012-2014 terms.
Education & Qualifications
- B.Eng (Chem Eng.), McGill University (1994)
- LL.B., University of Ottawa (1997)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (1999)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (1999)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2002)
- Registered to practise before the United States Patent and Trademark Office in Patents – Canadian Applicants (2003)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Councillor and Fellow)
- International Trademark Association – INTA
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property – AIPPI
- European Communities Trade Mark Association – ECTA
- Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec – OIQ
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (2016, 2019)