Intellectual Property Professionals
Ken MaAssociate - Lawyer, Patent Agent
Kenneth Ma is an associate at Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Ottawa office. Ken practices in all aspects of intellectual property including patents, trademarks, trade-secrets, domain names, industrial designs, and licensing.
Ken has experience assisting clients across a broad range of industries and focuses on chemical, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, clean-tech and medical device innovations including drafting and prosecution of patents, providing patentability, validity, infringement and freedom to operate opinions, and the management of international patent applications. Additionally, Ken assists in various types of intellectual property litigation.
Prior to being admitted to the Bar, Ken summered and articled at a national full-service firm primarily in the intellectual property litigation group. Here, Ken obtained extensive pharmaceutical litigation experience including proceedings under the Patented Medicine (Notice of Compliance) Regulations and trademark litigation experience. Ken’s PhD research involved experimentation in the areas of molecular and cellular biology, cell signaling, therapeutics, immunology, and biochemistry.
Education & Qualifications
- B. Sc., McGill University (1997)
- Ph.D. (Cellular and Molecular Medicine), University of Ottawa (2005)
- J.D., University of Ottawa (2013)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (2014)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2015)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC
- Law Society of Ontario – LSO
- Canadian Bar Association – CBA
- Ontario Bar Association – OBA
- Association of University Technology Managers – AUTM
- Up to 2 years of Additional Patent Protection Now Available in Canada for Qualifying Pharmaceutical Products
- Research exemptions from patent infringement in Canada
- CETA: Pharma Patent Changes Coming on September 21, 2017
- Patent Law Update: Supreme Court of Canada Rejects the “Promise Doctrine”
- CETA bringing changes to pharma patents in Canada
- Christopher Langan and Kenneth Ma join Ridout & Maybee LLP