Intellectual Property Professionals
David J. HellerPartner* - Lawyer, Patent & Trademark Agent
David Heller is a partner of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto office. His practice specializes in the areas of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and chemistry.
Prior to commencing his legal career, David conducted physiology research for the Department of National Defence, and transplantation research for Toronto’s Sunnybrook Medical Centre. He was also Assistant Science Policy Advisor to the Ontario Minister of Labour.
David has been recognized as a leading IP lawyer in the Chambers Global Guide in 2012, 2013, and 2014, in which he was praised as “commercially aware, to the point and easy to get along with”.
*David Heller Professional Corporation
Education & Qualifications
- B.Sc. (Honours Biology/Chemistry), University of Waterloo (1989)
- LL.B., University of Toronto (1994)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (1996)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (1997)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (1997)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Associate)
- IPIC Biotechnology Legislation Committee
- Toronto Biotechnology Initiative
- American Intellectual Property Law Association – AIPLA
- International Federation of Industrial Property Attorneys – FICPI
- FICPI Biotech Committee
- International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property – AIPPI
- University of Toronto – Masters of Biotechnology Program (Guest lecturer)
- Osgoode Hall Law School, York University – Structuring, Negotiating and Drafting Intellectual Property Licensing Agreements (Instructor)