Intellectual Property Professionals
David J. HellerPartner* - Lawyer, Patent & Trademark Agent
David Heller is a partner of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto office. His practice encompasses international portfolios protecting a broad range of IP rights, with specialization in the areas of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, nuclear, mechanical, and chemicals.
Prior to his legal career, David conducted physiology research for the Department of National Defence, and transplantation research for Toronto’s Sunnybrook Medical Centre. He was also Assistant Science Policy Advisor to the Ontario Minister of Labour.
David’s passion for his work comes from helping clients move from the start-up stage to become successful international corporations, in part due to diligent IP protection and enforcement. David has been recognized as a leading IP lawyer in the Chambers Global Guide in 2012, 2013, and 2014, in which he was praised as “commercially aware, to the point and easy to get along with”.
Away from the office David enjoys canoeing, kayaking, snowmobiling, skiing, and spending time with his family.
*David Heller Professional Corporation
Education & Qualifications
- B.Sc. (Honours Biology/Chemistry), University of Waterloo (1989)
- LL.B., University of Toronto (1994)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (1996)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (1997)
- Registered Patent Agent, United States (1997)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (1997)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC
- International Federation of Industrial Property Attorneys – FICPI
- International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property – AIPPI
- Chambers Global Guide (2012, 2013, 2014)
- University of Toronto – Masters of Biotechnology Program (Guest lecturer)
- Osgoode Hall Law School, York University – Structuring, Negotiating and Drafting Intellectual Property Licensing Agreements (Instructor)