Intellectual Property Professionals
Kenneth D. HannaPartner* - Lawyer, Senior Litigator, Trademark Agent
Kenneth D. Hanna is the senior litigation partner with the firm of Ridout & Maybee LLP and is located in the firm’s Toronto office. Ken’s practice is principally directed towards intellectual property (“IP”) litigation where he has appeared as lead counsel and acted for clients from around the world on various patent, trademark, copyright, industrial design and trade secret matters before the Federal Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Divisional Court.
Ken has successfully represented firm clients and acted as a barrister on third party actions across a wide spectrum of technologies in the IP arena, as well as working extensively with foreign counsel on cross-border proceedings. Ken has also acted as an Independent Supervising Solicitor on counterfeit merchandising matters and routinely uses his experience and expertise to assist clients with business venture development, planning and actualization in addition to the protection and enforcement of IP rights.
Ken has B.A.s from the University of Lethbridge and the University of Calgary, as well an LL.B from the University of Windsor and is a registered trade mark agent. He is also a member of both the Law Society of Upper Canada and the Law Society of Alberta.
Since 2013, Ken has, and continues to be, a member of the firm’s Executive Committee which has been tasked with the preparation and fulfillment of the firm’s strategic plan and day-to-day operations including but not limited to improving work flow, IT stability, revenue growth and overall profitability of the firm.
Notwithstanding his busy practice and firm management duties, Ken also acts as an articling principle training new lawyers, mentors law students through job shadows and the Fox IP Moot competitions, guest lectures, is an active member of the American Bar Association, is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation and acts as a technical advisor to third party board of directors.
Ken’s favorite endeavours outside of work are spending time with his son and wife, travelling and underwater photography while scuba diving…from which Ken has shared far too many close up pictures of sharks…and not the ones in the courtroom.
*Kenneth Hanna Professional Corporation
Education & Qualifications
- B.A. (Political Science, Linguistics), University of Lethbridge (1991)
- B.A. (Psychology, Anthropology), University of Calgary (1994)
- LL.B., University of Windsor (1998)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (2000)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Alberta (2000)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (2002)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Affiliate)
- Canadian Bar Association – CBA
- American Bar Association – ABA – Patent Litigation, International Patent Treaties & Laws and International Trade Mark Treaties and Laws Committees (Member)
- Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars – 2016, 2017, 2018/19