Intellectual Property Professionals
Elliott J. GoldPartner - Lawyer, Patent & Trademark Agent
Elliott Gold is a partner of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto office. His practice covers a range of intellectual property areas including the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, trademark prosecution, opposition and litigation proceedings, as well as drafting and negotiating licensing, joint venture and other agreements relating to the exploitation and/or transfer of technology.
Early in his career, he was seconded to act as Trademark Counsel at Research in Motion Ltd. (Blackberry), helping to create and implement a trademark protection and enforcement strategy as well as build the structure of their trademark legal department. That experience has shaped the manner in which Elliott serves his clients, gaining immeasurable insight into the perspective of in house counsel, the importance of understanding a client’s business objectives when giving IP advice, and a deep appreciation of in house counsel’s perspective and motivation. Elliott takes great pride acting as trusted advisor to various companies ranging from small businesses and start-ups to large multinational companies. From first inquiry to billing, Elliott’s focus is on ensuring the advice and path taken is in line and remains in line with business objectives and strives to ensure complete satisfaction of his clients in our firm’s engagement.
Elliott has been serving on the firm’s Executive Committee since 2013, tasked with forming and implementing the firm’s strategic plan including growing business, improving business operations, profitability, IT system sophistication and efficiencies, and work flow processes. The experience of managing the firm’s business operations continues to provide valuable perspective in the legal advice he provides to his clients, and strives to manage and advise his clients with a focus on rationality, business focus, and adding value to clients.
Elliott is active in the information technology practice area, particularly with the negotiation and drafting of agreements relating to the licensing and distribution of technology, and providing transactional due diligence support for IP assets.
Education & Qualifications
- B.A. (Honours Psychology), University of Western Ontario (1992)
- LL.B., York University, Osgoode Hall Law School (1995)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (1997)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (2000)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2003)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Western Ontario
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Associate)
- Canadian Bar Association – CBA
- Licensing Executives Society – LES
- Information Technology Association of Canada – ITAC
- International Trademark Association – INTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Committee)