Intellectual Property Professionals
Meika EllisAssociate - Lawyer
Meika Ellis is an associate at Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Ottawa office. Meika’s practice covers most areas of intellectual property law including: trademarks, copyright, domain name disputes, emerging technology, and patents. She also often does work with litigation matters.
Meika recently graduated from the University of Ottawa’s Common Law program. When not taking courses, Meika worked on several law and technology projects including doing work for CIPPIC, and, under professor supervision, researching how emerging technologies fit into Health Canada’s existing liability framework. Her primary “job” prior to entering private practice was working with professors and researchers at uOttawa and throughout Africa in the partnership network, Open African Innovation and Research (Open AIR), where she and her colleagues dedicated their research to looking at easing the tensions between intellectual property and access to knowledge throughout the African Continent.
When Meika is not working she is likely exploring the thrilling landscapes across the globe on her bike—track or road—as a competitive racer in training. Her passion is on the velodrome, which has influenced the name of her TV series (if HBO ever replies…): “why does turning right feel so wrong.”
Education & Qualifications
- B.Sc. (Biological Sciences), University of Alberta (2012)
- J.D., University of Ottawa (2017)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (2018)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC
- Changes to Canada’s Industrial Design Regime: What You Need to Know
- Canadian patent ownership dispute
- Patenting Blockchain Technology
- CETA Amendments to Canada’s PM(NOC) Regulations and New CSP Regulations Coming into Force: What to Watch out for
- Research exemptions from patent infringement in Canada