Intellectual Property Professionals
Mitchell B. CharnessPartner* - Lawyer, Patent & Trademark Agent
Mitch Charness is a partner of Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Ottawa office. His practice covers patents, trademarks, licensing and litigation. Prior to joining private practice in 1995, he clerked with the Federal Court of Canada in 1993-1994.
Mitch has received many awards for his outstanding academic achievements, including the J. Edward Maybee award for highest standing on the Patent Agent Qualifying Examinations, and the Law Society of Upper Canada Silver Medal for second highest standing in the Bar Admissions Course.
Mitch is a frequent speaker on intellectual property topics for various organizations. He has also served as a part-time Professor at the University of Ottawa Law School, teaching a course in Advanced Trademarks law.
*Mitchell Charness Professional Corporation
Education & Qualifications
- B.A.Sc. (Honours Mechanical Engineering), University of Waterloo (1990)
- LL.B., University of Ottawa (1993)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (1995)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (1995)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (1996)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC
- Canadian Bar Association – CBA
- Licensing Executives Society (USA and Canada) – LES
- Past Trustee
- Canadian Working Group on Substantive Patent Law Harmonization
- Great Canadian Theatre Company – GCTC (Chair of the Board)
- Jewish Family Services of Ottawa – JFS Ottawa (Vice-Chair of the Board)