Intellectual Property Professionals
Timothy C. BournePartner - Lawyer, Patent & Trademark Agent
Tim Bourne is a partner with Ridout & Maybee LLP in the Ottawa office. Tim’s practice covers a range of intellectual property areas including trademark and patent drafting and prosecution as well as advising clients on domain names and licensing.
Tim clerked with a judge of the Federal Court after completing a LL.B. at the University of Victoria in 1998 and B.Sc. at McMaster University in 1993. He joined the firm in 2001. Since then, Tim has represented the firm’s clients in patent, trademark and industrial design disputes before administrative tribunals and the Federal Court. He actively searches for opportunities to resolve disputes in a creative yet pragmatic manner that addresses our clients’ business goals. Tim’s experience resolving disputes influences the strategic advice that he provides to our clients during the prosecution of patent, trademark and industrial design applications.
Tim has a special interest in the enforcement of trademark rights in the domain name context and online. He adjudicates .ca domain name disputes under the Canadian Internet Registration Authority’s Dispute Resolution Procedure.
Tim also teaches Advanced Trademarks Law at the University of Ottawa.
Education & Qualifications
- B.Sc. (Science), McMaster University (1993)
- LL.B., University of Victoria (1998)
- Barrister & Solicitor, Province of Ontario (2000)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2002)
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada (2003)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Fellow)
- International Trademark Association – INTA – Non-Traditional Marks Committee (Vice-Chair)
- International Trademark Association – INTA – Advocacy Group Council (Member)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association – AIPLA
- Canada Law Book’s Canadian Patent Reporter – CPR – Editorial Board (Member)