Intellectual Property Professionals
Kazim AghaPartner - Patent Agent
Kazim Agha is a patent agent at Ridout & Maybee LLP in the firm’s Toronto office. His practice focuses in the areas of pharmaceuticals, chemistry, biotechnology, clean technology and mechanical devices. It includes the drafting and prosecution of patent applications, providing patentability, validity, infringement and freedom to operate opinions, and assisting members of the Pharmaceutical Group with matters including NOA preparation and NOC litigation support. In addition, he has prepared and prosecuted patent applications in a variety of other fields such as biomedical devices and nanotechnology.
Kazim is an associate editor of the Canadian Patent Reporter (CPR), and writes and presents on intellectual property matters, including patents and IP strategy.
Prior to his legal career, Kazim was a senior research chemist at a major chemical company where he was responsible for oligonucleotide and other active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) projects from R&D to manufacturing, including process validation and pre-approval inspection (PAI) preparation.
During his studies, Kazim was a National Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Scholar, a Fonds de recherché sur la nature et les technologies (FCAR) Scholar, received the T. Sterry Hunt Award and the best presentation award from the Canadian Society for Chemistry at the 2001 conference; and was President of the Chemistry Graduate Student Society.
Education & Qualifications
- B.Sc. (Honours Chemistry), Dalhousie University (1997)
- Ph.D. (Chemistry), McGill University (2003)
- Project Management Certificate, Grant MacEwan College (2004)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2008)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – IPIC (Associate)
- Chemical Institute of Canada – CIC
- Canadian Society for Chemistry – CSC (Director, Local Sections)
- Guest Feature: Breaking the bonds of a traditional chemical career
- Kazim Agha speaking at 101st Canadian Chemistry Conference and Exhibition
- Design Applications: Updates on Key Changes, and Preventing Portfolio Loss
- Need 2 Know Workshop: Intellectual Property Essentials
- Webinar on Global Intellectual Property for the American Chemical Society
- Kazim Agha to speak at the ACTION conference
- Kazim Agha has been elected as the 2015-2016 Chair of the Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC)
- Canadian Patent Rules amendments relating to green technology applications and applications under Special Order