Medical, Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical
Ridout & Maybee LLP is a leading Canadian intellectual property law firm serving the biotechnology sector.
We represent top Canadian and international biotech clients, from start-ups to Fortune 100 companies, as well as universities, government agencies, and industrial associations.
Our professionals have degrees and decades of experience in biochemistry, chemistry, biology, chemical engineering, molecular biology and genetics, nanotechnology engineering, medical and health physics, cellular and molecular medicine, biomedical engineering, biomechanics, and plant agriculture. They have “boots on the ground” experience in “big pharma”, in pharmaceutical manufacturing, and at the Federal government biotechnology regulatory bodies. Our professionals are peer-reviewed, published authors in many of these fields.
We manage global patent portfolios for our clients and understand the nuances of obtaining and optimizing patent protection in subject matter fields with jurisdiction-specific rules – for example, methods of medical treatment, stem cell therapies, antibodies, diagnostic methods and instruments, and genetically modified life forms.
We have patent drafting and prosecution experience in a wide variety of subject matter, including:
- Stem cell-based gene therapies
- Gene transfer and expression methodologies
- Adenovirus and other expression systems
- Growth factors and growth factor analogs
- Erythropoietin, analogs and isoforms
- Apoptosis biomarkers, apoptotic entities and their therapeutic use
- Aptamer screening technologies and novel therapeutic aptamers
- DNA amplification methods
- Vaccine formulations
- Antibodies and their use
- Receptors, binding partners, and their use
- Receptor ligands
- Liposomal encapsulation technologies
- Fertilizer and pesticide nanoencapsulation technologies
- Excipients and binders
- Industrial biotechnology processes
- Enzyme and microorganism-based biofuel manufacturing
- Microbial bioconversion
- Purification and amplification processes
Because of our unique firm culture, we are able to deploy partner-level professionals with decades of industry-specific experience to provide experienced guidance to start-up and early stage companies in these fields as they mature into emerging and high growth companies. We are also able to provide sophisticated and nuanced Canadian filing and claim strategy to international biotechnology companies looking to maximize their rights in Canada.
In addition to our extensive experience drafting and prosecuting patents, we excel in providing the following related services to clients in this space:
- Freedom to operate opinions and clearances
- Infringement and validity opinions
- IP due diligence and guidance to investors, including venture capital investors as well as government-based investors
- Licensing of intellectual property assets, including region-specific licensing
- Advice and representation under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations (PMNOC), including preparation of Notices of Allegation and Patent Register listings
- Applications for Certificates of Supplemental Protection.
Have a question for a professional in our biotechnology group? See which members of our team can help you get started.