Opportunity – Patent Filing Clerk
Ridout & Maybee LLP has offices in Toronto, Ottawa and Mississauga, and consistently ranks as one of Canada’s top IP law firms in both Canadian and International surveys of in-house counsel.
We understand the business of innovation, and the vital role that IP plays in today’s competitive, market-driven economy.
The majority of our professionals have advanced degrees in science, engineering and IT – as well as law. This means we understand what our clients do, the industries they serve, and the way they do business. We know the key role that IP plays in their individual strategies for growth and success.
Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment? Do you enjoy assisting others and working for an employer who has strong core values? Are you a confident user of technology and looking for an opportunity to grow your skills? Consider joining our team!
We are currently recruiting for a Patent Filing Clerk to join our team. Under the general supervision of the Office Manager, this position is responsible to provide Patent Clerk Services to intellectual property professionals.
Working together in a team, provide patent filing services to professionals as follows:
- Preparing cost estimates and items required for filing and reporting to clients;
- Preparing and filing of patent applications in Canada, U.S. and WIPO including:
- Reviewing correspondence;
- Acknowledging client correspondence;
- Communicating directly with client(s) regarding any missing documentation;
- Preparing application and electronically filing with CIPO and the USPTO;
- Preparing and electronically filing PCT applications with CIPO;
- Timely reporting and billing of patent filings;
- Preparing and filing of documentation to complete filing requirements, i.e. entitlement declaration, patent assignments, sequence listings, etc.;
- Working in conjunction with Toronto’s Patent Filing Clerks, to ensure the preparation and filing of Patents, including reporting and billing;
- Other duties as assigned.
You will enjoy continued development of your skills and knowledge through the firm’s internal training and development programs in addition to our Continued Education Program, offering reimbursement for courses outside the firm.
We are currently looking for an individual who has the following qualifications:
- Five to seven consecutive years of progressive experience in an IP environment, with an emphasis patents;
- Prior experience with foreign patent filings;
- Previous experience filing patents online;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Outlook;
- Excellent command of the English language and good grammar and communication skills – verbal and written;
- Detail-oriented, accurate and able to work under pressure with minimum supervision;
- Works well with others in a team based environment with the ability to take initiative of their own work;
- Excellent typing and proof-reading skills;
- Adaptable, dependable and open to change;
- Reliable, punctual and present for work.
Post-secondary education in the legal industry is an asset.
Knowledge of PATTSY, Open Text Document Management, eDOCS Edition (eDOCS DM), Enterprise Elite/Webview and working in paperless environment is an asset.
Applicants are kindly asked to forward their resume and cover letter clearly demonstrating their abilities for this role, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants in advance but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ridout & Maybee LLP welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Ridout & Maybee LLP is an equal opportunity employer.