Opportunity – Patent Assistant – Toronto
Ridout & Maybee LLP has offices in Toronto, Ottawa and Mississauga, and consistently ranks as one of Canada’s top IP law firms in both Canadian and International surveys of in-house counsel.
We understand the business of innovation, and the vital role that IP plays in today’s competitive, market-driven economy.
The majority of our professionals have advanced degrees in science, engineering and IT – as well as law. This means we understand what our clients do, the industries they serve, and the way they do business. We know the key role that IP plays in their individual strategies for growth and success.
Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment? Do you enjoy assisting others and working for an employer who has strong core values? Are you a confident user of technology and looking for an opportunity to grow your skills? Consider joining our team!
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Patent Assistant to join our growing team in our Toronto Office. Under the general supervision of the Office Manager, you will be responsible for providing administrative services and support to intellectual property professionals.
Candidates interested in pursuing this opportunity will enjoy working in a highly technical and paperless environment. Day-to-day administrative responsibilities include:
- Attending to Due Case list on a daily basis and advising professional;
- Transcribing correspondence and reports from digital dictation system or hand-written material;
- Preparing/drafting routine correspondence and legal documents for professional;
- Preparing invoices and reporting letters to clients on a regular basis, following established turnaround times;
- Ensuring professionals’ practice is running smoothly by handling routine inquiries;
- Managing professionals’ WIP report by reviewing on a regular basis;
- Providing backup assistance to various professionals and/or assistants within the firm as required;
- Other duties as assigned.
You will enjoy continued development of your skills and knowledge through the firm’s internal training and development programs in addition to our Continued Education Program, offering reimbursement for courses outside the firm.
We are currently looking for an individual who has the following qualifications:
- 7-10 years of progressive patent experience in an IP environment;
- Post-secondary education in the legal industry;
- Experience in trademarks is considered an asset;
- Proficiency with MS Office and ability to learn new software and technology quickly;
- Excellent command of the English language with good grammar and communication skills – verbal and written;
- Detail-oriented, accurate and able to work under pressure with minimum supervision;
- Works well with others in a team based environment with the ability to take initiative of their own work;
- Excellent typing and proof-reading skills;
- Adaptable, dependable and open to change;
- Reliable, punctual and present for work.
Knowledge of PATTSY, Open Text Document Management, eDOCS Edition (eDOCS DM), Enterprise Elite/Webview and working in paperless environment is an asset.
Applicants are kindly asked to forward their resume and cover letter clearly demonstrating their abilities for this role, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants in advance but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ridout & Maybee LLP welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Ridout & Maybee LLP is an equal opportunity employer.