Who We Are
Ridout & Maybee LLP is a full-service Canadian IP firm with offices in Toronto, Ottawa and Burlington serving clients across the country and internationally. Our firm consistently ranks as one of Canada’s top IP law firms in both Canadian and international surveys of in-house counsel.
We understand the business of innovation, and the vital role that IP plays in today’s competitive, market-driven economy.
The majority of our professionals have advanced degrees in science, engineering and IT – as well as law. This means we understand what our clients do, the industries they serve, and the way they do business. Our firm knows the key role that IP plays in their individual strategies for growth and success. Learn more about our IP professionals.
We are also a great place to work and are always looking for people to join our team. You can view our current opportunities on our careers page.
Our Firm’s History
As a leading protector of intellectual property in Canada since 1893, our firm files an average of 3,000 patent and 1,000 trademark applications per year. We are one of the country’s longest successfully operating IP firms.
Our co-founder, John G. Ridout, was the author of one of the first Canadian textbooks on patents, Ridout on Patents, published in 1894.
J. Edward Maybee was the first President of what is today the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada.
Six Ridout & Maybee LLP partners have held this title, including most recently current partner, Janet M. Fuhrer, who was recently the President of the Canadian Bar Association.
Today, our position at the forefront of IP law is evidenced by our editorial role in the Canadian Patent Reporter, the country’s authoritative journal on IP case law, with Marcus Gallie serving as editor.
For a more detailed look at the history on our firm, please visit our 125th anniversary page
Firm Awards and Recognition
As a testament of our commitment to clients, Ridout & Maybee LLP has received awards and recognition in many leading publications over the years, most notably:
- The Legal 500 – Intellectual Property Firms (Tier 4) (2019)
- A Top 10 Intellectual Property Boutique law firm in Canadian Lawyer Magazine (2012-2018)
- Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars – Patent Prosecution (Tier 2), Trademark Prosecution (Tier 2), Trademark Contentious (Notable Firm) (2018)
- Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars – Patent Contentious (Notable Firm), Patent Prosecution (Tier 2), Trademark Contentious (Notable Firm), Trademark Prosecution (Tier 2) (2017)
- Listed in Chambers Global’s ranked list of intellectual property law firms (2014-2018)
- WTR 1000 – World Trademark Review (2016-2017)
- Canada’s Patent Law Firm of the Year in Corporate INTL Magazine (2011)
- Canada’s Life Sciences Law Firm of the Year in Corporate INTL Magazine (2010)
- Recommended by IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
Interested in reading more about intellectual property? Visit our news section for IP news from Canada and around the world or check out our other pages: